Saturday, June 25, 2016

I believe in Jesus – Marc Nelson



It was 1987, and this composer wanted to say that Jesus was more than an historical figure. Pilate, after all, said ‘here is the man’ (John 19:5), so he too believed, in an earthly sense. (See Antonio Ciseri’s Ecce Homo here.) It would be difficult to rationally claim He never lived, after all, since so many people recognize His life. So much has been written about Him, and even people of no faith on occasion utter His name, albeit in vain. So was Marc Nelson mulling all that over when he wrote words and music for “I Believe in Jesus”, that he wanted to be more precise with what a Jesus-belief entailed? Because it would be PC (politically correct) in a lot of social contexts to admit Jesus was a ‘good person’, Nelson may have thought more was necessary to get in the straight and narrow way. Who was/is Marc Nelson? It may be interesting to know more about this composer’s identity than his name, but how much more significant would it be to say we knew as little about Jesus?


We know nothing about Marc Nelson, other than his name and that he composed “I Believe…” in 1987. But, he certainly wanted me to know what he thought about this seminal figure, who has an otherwise common first century name. Marc said in just the space of three lines that he believed these things about Jesus: Son of God; died and yet came to life again; and, somehow ransomed everyone, despite His short life and gruesome death. Any of those statements is a mouthful. It would be extremely rare for anyone to die and yet live again – a feat accomplished today via some medical technology. What are the chances that could have happened in the first century? Merge that extraordinary event with the other two statements, and Marc has zeroed in on a single individual among the billions that have ever walked the earth. Pretty rarefied atmosphere is this claim that He’s not just any Jesus, but Jesus Christ. Marc says there’s still more, if I could only begin to really appreciate what he’s already heaped up here for me to swallow. Because He’s alive, He’s also here in His Spirit. This otherworldly phenomenon – ghostly, and mysterious, and certainly not something with which I’m entirely comfortable, I admit – elevates what Marc says onto yet another plane. But, lest I run for cover, Nelson says this present-day Jesus can heal and forgive, too. I need both from time to time, as I inhabit a form that has plenty of faults. So, Marc has me thinking about five belief exclamation points, not just one (which would be more than enough!) as I consider His identity. Is one more difficult than another in this list? Or, does belief accumulate more readily as evidence mounts and even one point’s truth seems plausible?           


If I lose my identity in Jesus, that’s OK. That’s what I can say, as I momentarily reflect on Marc’s anonymity. He’s cataloged some things about Jesus here that have me alternately cringing, and yet drawing near to Him. As He’s Godly, I cower, knowing my imperfection is naked before Him. But, He died – something I also cannot avoid— and then rose, too. That’s the God-magnet, isn’t it? I cannot ignore the Holy-Righteous One, because I need the Risen-Healing-Forgiving One. He’s a package-deal, as Marc Nelson reminds me. If I lose myself inside all this, I’m really OK. Puts a new spin on lost, doesn’t it?     

No information was gathered to reference this composer, other than the attribution shown in all versions of the song in hymnals and other media. 

No comments: