Saturday, August 6, 2011

Master the Tempest Is Raging – Mary Ann Baker


Mary Ann Baker had a story incubating deep inside her as she struggled emotionally and spiritually. Why had tragedy happened? How could a loving God do such a thing? It’s not fair! Why must I hurt this way? These were the vocalized feelings one might have heard her shout in 1874 in the wake, a literal wake, of her heartbreak. It’s probably not unfamiliar to you if you’ve lost someone whose life wasn’t supposed to be over yet. If that is so – and who hasn’t gone through this? – then listen to how Mary Ann Baker dealt with this body blow, this storm (see painting by Rembrandt).

When Mary was 42 she suffered the loss of her brother – her only brother – to a disease that had also stolen her mother and father from her. She had grown up in Illinois and lived in Chicago, giving of herself in the temperance (alcohol prohibition) movement. So, it can be assumed that she rated purity, trying to live a ‘right life’ before God, high on her personal to-do list. So, when she was sick and could not go to be with him as his health became critical, one can imagine her heart searching for meaning. Her dear brother, a man she felt was precious and unique in character and potential, was gone. It was then that she rebelled in spirit, denying that the God she had obeyed since childhood was compassionate.  But, in that period of angst, she says that He responded, becoming the God of peace. In her recovery, Baker recalls that her associate, Horatio Palmer, asked her to compose the words for songs that would address the theme of “Christ Stilling the Tempest”, which was the subject of Sunday school lessons being taught in the church. The rest, as they say, is history. Her personal trial, a tempest, did have meaning after all. In fact, this trial added depth and purity to her faith, she declares.     

Mary Ann Baker must have gone through stages in her storm, according to the three verses she recorded for her fellow believers. And, perhaps they are words for others too, for those who want answers but have no one to ask. Baker’s verses tell me that it’s normal to question Him (verse 1), to remind Him that I have the capacity to doubt when I’m buffeted by events that grimly taunt me. Perhaps that’s what I need, really, to grip His hand even tighter. I could give in and sink outta sight (verse 2), but even then it’s not too late to call out to Him. Verse 3 tells me that endurance will be rewarded. I’m glad she used the familiar example of the Apostles – those closest to the Master – on the Sea of Galilee to tell me how a storm might catch me unawares. It won’t matter how much I’ve done to curry His favor, or how much I think I’ve served Him. I’ll likely go through these phases when something punches me in the gut. Those sucker punches are the only ones the Enemy throws, although he might begin with gentle, pleasant caresses. Isn’t it strange how the Devil and the Lord seem to operate from different ends of the pain spectrum? One might stroke me to win my confidence, and then later knock me flat.  Conversely, hurts that seize me ultimately chase me toward Him, the Comforter. Now, where do you think He’s waiting…on the comfy couch, or in the life raft?        

The source for Baker’s song story is: http://www.hymntime.com/tch/htm/m/a/s/mastertt.htm

4 comments:

dawn said...

was looking for the words to this hymn - one of my favorites to remember in times of trial, and came across your website. I have book-marked your site as I also think the stories behind the hymns are often fascinating but think you should consider posting the words to the hymns as well (if only for those who may not know them). God bless!

David Cain said...

Thanks Dawn! I have often considered posting the hymn lyrics, but have, as a rule, not done that due to copyright laws that at least would be in effect for the more recent songs. I did put a link in this one that takes you to the hymn lyrics. Thanks for reading!

Unknown said...

I just love this song. It is so real, touching the life of any child of God as them storms toss. But so rich in the confidence it builds in the heart of the singer as the words of the chorus flow from the heart.

Unknown said...

"Master the Tempest is raging" is very inspiring and encouraging, especially at such a time as this. I love the story around the Hymn it is really encouraging. Thanks for the efforts