Saturday, February 12, 2011

Surround Us, O Lord -- Bobby Price


‘Is the Bible relevant today?’ someone inquires. It’s probably not a casual question, and might really sound like an accusation coming from someone engaged in a struggle. ‘Listen to this’, you could respond, if you had the recording of “Surround Us, O Lord” on hand. It’s a reprise of a psalm (Psalm 125:2), recalled for us today through the effort of Bobby Price, who wrote the contemporary version of this appeal to God in 1990. If you feel in danger, or sense that your existence is missing something, tune in to this music’s message.


Price must have thought the Psalmist’s words were germane in 1990, although we know not what the specific circumstances were that caused him to compose. The ancient songwriter’s motivation was to inspire worship as the people ‘ascended’, as they made their way to Jerusalem for a festival. The ‘mountains surround(ing) Jerusalem’ in the song evidently remind the writer of God’s protective nature, a bulwark against the evil enemy. God’s chosen people well-knew the peril of their time, and what it was like when God’s shield was missing. The song’s words may have been composed after the nation’s exile ended (according to Bible scholars), and therefore embody a national plea for God’s renewed presence. Were Bobby Price and the people around him having these thoughts in 1990? Had they been far-removed from Him, but were once again looking for covenant renewal? That’s the context that this song’s history lends us today. What would I say if I’m feeling a combination of looking back with shame, but looking forward with submission and petition? That’s what “Surround Us, O Lord” is like.

If I’ve been in a bad place, I shouldn’t want to go back, though there are times when even the evil has its attraction. And so, my Godly mountains (see the picture above, leading to Mount Zion) serve a dual purpose. They protect me and make it difficult for the enemy to creep in, as long as I cooperate with the Protector. And, they also protect me from myself and my evil inclination, preventing me from easily escaping His territory and His notice. Which way are you headed, right now? Are you using the mountains for protection? Or, are they in your way as you try to flee to the outside? His mountains can hurt me as I scuff my knees and elbows in an attempt to climb over them. They’re also magnificent to observe and appreciate at sunset. Mountains are a matter of perspective. And, so is God.

No comments: