Friday, September 24, 2010

I Worship You, Almighty God – Sondra Corbett Wood



Sondra Corbett Wood was really still just a youngster. All of 20 years old, and she was brimming with passion. It was a drive that some – even she, herself - might say wore off with time. The song “I Worship You, Almighty God” that she wrote reminds one of a love song, a longing for relationship that promises to be unique, special. To find one’s true love is the goal of the naïve, innocent young adult – and probably many older adults, too! And, though its expression might make the jaded person scoff, who among us doesn’t recall wistfully that high school or college yearbook, with the special message scrawled on the inside cover from someone who made the heart burn?

This is the way Sondra describes her feelings in 1983. He, God, was close. And, the words of the song’s chorus flowed naturally that day next to a piano in a school music room in Dallas, Texas. She was praying for the success of a worship service that she and others in Living Praise, a music group, would be guiding the next day. So, it seems that indeed God did inhabit the praises of His people (Psalm 22:3; KJV) that day. She says the chorus’ message, so simple yet deep, is its power. Just to focus on Him, and nothing else, sing right to God -- not about Him, but to Him. Later, after she’d left the Christ of the Nations Institute in Dallas, where the song was created, and graduated from college, Sondra walked away from her faith. For two years, it seems that she was like the cynical adult who grows weary of the old love ballad. But, she eventually reconnected with her faith in Kentucky, and over time rediscovered His grace and forgiveness. She remembered the call of her 20-year-old’s praise message. Remember that heady, young adult’s first love?   

If it feels uneasy or unnatural to act like a giddy kid, Amen! Love toward God feels like nothing else, and so it’s OK to think of it like that first time passion. The challenge, as Sondra Corbett Wood’s life underscores, is to preserve that relationship with God like the first days of love’s fervor. Is that realistic? Talk to even a few marriage partners, and the answer sounds like ‘NO’. I go through valleys, and then climb the mountain again – at least part way up it – but it’s basically a pendulum here on Earth. Sondra’s song reminds me that there will be a time, not too far off, when the praise I sing will share the same space with Him. Love will need no explanation there. I’ll just feel, exult, revel, and drink in Him. Start thinking like a young lover again.               


The source for Sondra Corbett Wood’s “I Worship You, Almighty God” song story is the book “Our God Reigns: The Stories behind Your Favorite Praise and Worship Songs”, by Phil Christensen and Shari MacDonald, Kregel Publications, 2000.

An update on her true age at the time was provided by the composer in one of this blog entry’s comments. Thank you Sondra!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I think you are right that for many of us, maybe all, the passion this song brings out has its highs and lows. However I am thinking of the call of the Lord in Rev. 2 for the Church to return to its first Love. It suggests that we should not accept the 'waning' that tends to occur but to strive to renew and keep it close to our hearts. I love this song. I have known the chorus for years but for the first time heard the verses and was blown away. Wow! I think it speaks to the place of worship the Lord invites us to ...not just to visit, but to dwell.

Unknown said...

The only comment I have is that I was 20 years old when I wrote the song.

Terry Pace said...

One of the most beautiful worship songs, sung by one of the most beautiful voices ever. It ministers deeply to me every time I hear it.

Unknown said...

Love, I worship you that hits to your heart. Thank God for HIS to us sinners saved by grace of God & his blood all at the cross. We worship you! 1000% true.

Sarah Bassett said...

Thank you, Sondra Corbett Wood, for bringing this beautiful song with your beautiful voice to my ears. Don Moen recorded it through Integrity Hosanna's label back around the mid 80s early 90ank you so much. Sarah Bassett, Seattle WA.s. It was a perfect love song to Father God and still is to this day. He gave it to you. Cling to Him. He is your all. He is all any of us need now and forever. Surrender is the message of this song you wrote.

Sarah Bassett said...

Thank you Sondra for this inspiring song. I wrote a comment a moment ago. Guess it got lost here. Too long. Giving my praise for your gift from God our Father. Cling to Him. He is all you need. He is all we need, for such a time as this.

Unknown said...

Dear Sondra Thank you soooooo much for being obedient in bringing this song. I was a worshipper like you and of a similar age. I stood out and sang songs of love to god, leading and moving the congregation. I too moved away from God for 2 and a half years, so he didn't hear my love songs to him for while.
I became pregnant and had child, I returned back to God, battered and broken, but he has healed me up, even though I have since struggled through much pain and tradgedy.
I wept as I listened to you sing this song today, I remembered my own passion and fervour.
I wept, because I felt the pain of Gods heart, losing his loves and his deepest desires....I just kept on saying, I'm soooooo sorry for your loss Lord and the pain you felt.
Dear Sondra, I encourage you to sing the Chorus again for yourself and replace the words with 'I love you oh Sondra, there is none like you...I love you oh Sondra, for you are my righteousness in Christ Jesus....there is none like you'

He loves us so much and he's never changed his mind...he's as passionate as when we first sang to him as teenagers and young twenty year olds...the enemy hated us for that and set out to destroy it, such was and is his jealousy.

We are made in the image of Christ and are very exspensive, he bought us with his life...and would do it again if necessary.
But thank God, once has been more than enough!

Bless you sooo much Sondra. I truly hope you get to see this and hear my heart, but more so, Gods heart of love and passion towards you.