Sunday, January 4, 2009

Great Is the Lord - Steve McEwan

How does a typical Monday morning begin…for the typical 21st Century Christian? A radio alarm, some gobbled breakfast (or maybe not), traffic, and maybe a cranky computer thrown in for good measure. It’s almost certainly not the mountaintop exhilaration, the ideal world that you sang about the day before, is it? Yet, it is the one I occupy in the present. And I do it five days a week, so I’d better find a way to make it endurable, if not meaningful. It helps me to have something, especially a song that sticks with me, a steady drumbeat that reminds me of certain things. There will be lots of urgent tasks, naturally, that scream for my attention. But with a tune that’s fixed between my ears, I have an undercurrent of contentment that’s an anchor.

It doesn’t have to yell at me. In fact, a drumbeat, like a heartbeat, is better if it’s just humming gently, reliably consistent. Yes, that’s what I think of when I hear Steve McEwan’s song “Great Is the Lord”. Was a heartbeat on Steve McEwan’s mind when he wrote the song? McEwan is a native of South Africa, a nation best known probably for its volatility in the late 20th Century as it struggled with apartheid. One of McEwan’s friends was shot and killed in 1985, as South African violence framed our television news. I don’t know what its like to lose a friend like that, a sudden bitter end, but it’s said that McEwan composed “Great Is the Lord” in the wake of the tragedy. His friend’s heartbeat had stopped, but the words of the song show that McEwan refused to wallow in anger. He’s not focused on future vengeance or a temporal justice. In fact, he’s thankful for the present – that God is great, that we have victory…victory?! To one without God, McEwan’s words produce skepticism and maybe even rage. A faith that sustains despite calamity, though, is a powerful testimony. The reality of eternity means that even unfair deaths cannot dim hope. McEwan’s creation allows the singer to say something not only to others nearby. When I sing the second stanza, I address God directly, as in prayer. I reach for the intimacy He offers. That’s what the hurting person, even a believer who’s certain of the afterlife, needs most from God here and now. I want to feel His comfort when nothing here makes sense.

As 2009 begins, I know there will be highs and lows…that’s the only thing that is certain here. With the Lord, I know what I can count on, and that He will be in my life, somehow, some way. Songs like “Great Is the Lord” are the EKG (electrocardiogram) of Christians. When I sing it, I can feel my pulse, a rhythm that’s in South Africa, in Europe and Indonesia (where you can see believers singing the song on the global net), and here in the U.S. Sometimes my faith struggles, frankly, and my songs don’t seem very audible, but knowing that this heartbeat is on four continents is breathtaking. At times, God might seem a bit too distant. But now, when I sing this song, I’m reminded that I have have a steady, consistent, and dependable God whose Spirit permeates this planet.
Great is the LORD, and most worthy of praise,
in the city of our God, his holy mountain. (Psalm 48:1)

The following websites were accessed to gather information about Steve McEwan and the song “Great is the Lord”: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1E_kTQssB0I

7 comments:

Brennan said...

Hello David,

Great scoop!

I was wondering if you have an mp3 of the song. I've been looking for an album here that has this classic but to no avail. Are you also aware of other covers for this?

Brennan

David Cain said...

Sorry, I don't have an MP3 of the song. But, I think McEwan's song can easily be found on the internet, or my favorite group singing it is the Zoe Group in Nashville, Tennessee.

Take care, and keep up the heartbeat!

Unknown said...

Hello David. This is such an awesome song. Do you know how to get a hold of Steve Mcewan? I was at school with him in South Africa between 1980 and 1982, and we went to the same youth group in 1983, but lost contact with him soon afterwards. I just want to thank him for such an awesome song that we now sing at our church in Nottingham, UK. Thanks, Graeme Philp (graeme@jdit.co.uk)

David Cain said...

Graeme,
I don't know how to reach Steve...wish I did, because I'd like to quiz him on this song!

Evan said...

I am trying to find the version of this song that was recorded as a male/female duet in the late 1980's. I think it was a couple of the Maranatha singers. Do you know?

David Cain said...

sorry Evan, I don't know about any male/female duets for this great song. Thanks for reading!

Marquinhos Ferreira said...

Thank you for this words, your text is beautiful! God bless you.